New item Free shipping Pay Now
Add this item to Cart for a combined free shipping deal
Click to enlarge photo

Listing Detail Tabs

This item has FREE SHIPPING to any address in NZ

NOTE: Item will ship from our US warehouse. A handling time of 2-4 business days applies for all orders. Delivery will then take 3-10 working days.

Not Just a Pretty Face: The Ugly Side of the Beauty Industry

Condition: BRAND NEW
ISBN: 9780865715745
Author(s): Stacy Malkan
Format: Paperback
Year: 2007
Edition: 1st
Publisher: New Society Publishers
Dimensions: 157 x 226 x 12 (w x l x h)
Pages: 177

BUYER OFFERS: We are a retail store with set pricing and unfortunately we can't fulfil any requests to sell items for less than the listed price.

Description:
Lead in lipstick? 1,4 dioxane in baby soap? Coal tar in shampoo? How is this possible? Simple. The $35 billion cosmetics industry is so powerful that they've kept themselves unregulated for decades. Not one cosmetic product has to be approved by the US Food and Drug Administration before hitting the market. Incredible? Consider this: The European Union has banned more than 1,100 chemicals from cosmetics. The United States has banned just 10. Only 11% of chemicals used in cosmetics in the US have been assessed for health and safety -- leaving a staggering 89% with unknown or undisclosed effects; Over 70% of all personal care products may contain phthalates, which are linked to birth defects and infertility; Many baby soaps are contaminated with the cancer-causing chemical 1,4 dioxane. It's not just women who are affected by this chemists' brew. Shampoo, deodorant, face lotion and other products used daily by men, women and children contain hazardous chemicals that the industry claims are 'within acceptable limits'.
But there's nothing acceptable about daily multiple exposures to carcinogenic chemicals -- from products that are supposed to make us feel healthy and beautiful.'Not Just a Pretty Face' delves deeply into the dark side of the beauty industry, and looks to hopeful solutions for a healthier future. This scathing investigation peels away less-than-lovely layers to expose an industry Please click here to ask a question
Your question and answer privileges have been disabled.
You must log in to view questions and answers on this listing. We recommend reading questions before you make any purchases.
Please log in to view questions and answers on this listing. We recommend reading questions before you make any purchases. Available only to approved bidders. You must be an authenticated member to ask questions Find out more about becoming authenticated. Your account is in debt Your current account balance is You must credit your account to use this feature.
Firearms Licence #
By entering my licence number, I confirm I am aware of my obligations under the Arms Act.
Transaction details may be provided to police in accordance with the Terms & Conditions.
Your current account balance is Please note you will lose your question and answer privileges if your account is in debt for more than 2 weeks. Credit your account.
I confirm that I am over 18 years old.
To prevent your personal details being misused please do not put emails or phone numbers in questions. Failure to comply may result in the suspension of your account. The seller cannot add a Buy Now price once bidding has started.

Shipping options

  • Free shipping within New Zealand  
  • Store does not allow pick-ups
  • Store location: Auckland City, Auckland, NZ

Payment options

  • NZ bank deposit