How can I apply for a success fee refund?If the buyer backs out of an auction you can apply for a refund of the success fees. You can do this 3 or more days after the auction closes.
How to apply for a refund
- Go to the auction you require a refund for
- Click the link stating: "Click here if [the buyer] doesn't contact you or backs out of the sale" to display more options
- Click "Request a success fee refund" and fill in the form
We will then email the buyer and ask them for their side of the story. Once we have this, or after a maximum of 5 days, we will make a decision on whether you are eligible for a refund and email you the outcome.
If your refund is approved, you need to confirm that you still require it by clicking the link in the email.
If a refund is granted a comment from Trade Me will be placed on both your and the buyer's feedback record - this will not affect your overall feedback rating. You should also post feedback on any members that you deal with.
When are you eligible for a refund?
You are eligible for a refund of the success fees charged if:
- Your auction met reserve, sold by Buy Now, or a fixed price offer for the auction was accepted and;
- You are unable to contact the buyer or they refuse to complete the sale and;
- The success fee was incurred less than 28 days ago.
What happens to buyers that back out of auctions?
Members that repeatedly default on auctions will have their membership suspended.
What if the sale ends up going through after the refund is granted?
You can automatically return your success fee to us by clicking the "Repay your success fee" link on the auction page.
Want further assistance?
- Call us on 0900 87233Available 24/7. Calls cost $1.99 + GST per minute.
- Email us your questionWe aim to respond within 12 hours.