Uploading a photoYou’re 10% more likely to have a successful sale if you have a photo in your listing* (higher if the photo is good quality and you use Gallery).
Taking good quality photos
- Avoid using your camera’s flash. Instead, try to use as much natural light as possible. This helps show accurate colour.
- Take photos from several angles. This helps buyers get a visual feel for the item.
- Zoom out to show the entire item.
- Zoom in to show any relevant detail such as blemishes or features.
- Keep the background simple. It’s best to stick to a plain background - ideally white - to help the item stand out.
- Ensure the item fills most of the photo.
- If needed, show the scale. For example: with a table you may wish to put a chair next to it to show it’s a dining table not a coffee table (although you’ll need to state in the description that the chair is not for sale).
Uploading your photos
Always ensure the photo is the right way up – having to look at sideways or upside down photos may put prospective buyers off.
Your photo must be saved in .gif, .bmp, .png, .jpeg or .jpg format and be under 5MB in size.
All photos uploaded to Trade Me have a watermark added on the bottom right corner. This provides a permanent identifier on the image and prevents your images being stolen and used on other websites.
*Based on 2013 sales, year to date.
Want further assistance?
- Call us on 0900 87233Available 24/7. Calls cost $1.99 + GST per minute.
- Email us your questionWe aim to respond within 12 hours.