Protection from viruses and malwareViruses and malware are malicious programs that can cause damage to your computer, phone or other electronic devices and the files stored within. Once a virus infects a device, it often looks to spread to others across a network or even the internet.
You may have a virus if:
- your device responds more slowly than usual, stops responding entirely or ‘crashes’
- a battery-powered device requires more charging than usual
- unknown programs and toolbars appear on your device
- disruptive pop-ups appear, often requesting credit card details or the installation of unknown software
- you’re frequently redirected to unknown websites on your device.
- Use up-to-date anti-virus software. New viruses are discovered each month, so protection is the best prevention. For more information, check out the anti-virus options.
- Be wary when opening email attachments. Don’t open attachments from strangers or when you don’t recognise the file type – ‘.exe’ files can be particularly dodgy, so take extra care if you receive these types of attachment via email.
- Be careful downloading files. Don’t download files from strange websites. Make sure to download only from a legitimate and reputable source.
- Backup your files on a regular basis. If a virus destroys your files, at least you’ll have a backup copy. Make sure not to store your backup copy on the same computer you’re trying to protect.
Some computer anti-virus software also extends to device protection. There are plenty of free apps that can help protect your device if you’re surfing the net on a tablet or phone.
One last note
Firewalls, anti-virus, anti-malware software and regular backups are great prevention, but there’s never a complete guarantee against infection. If you encounter a problem that your software couldn’t prevent and you're also unable to fix, we recommend talking to a computer technician to see what can be done.
Want further assistance?
- Call us on 0900 87233Available 24/7. Calls cost $1.99 + GST per minute.
- Email us your questionWe aim to respond within 1-2 days.