Moving outWhen you're ready to move out, give your landlord written notice at least 21 days before you intend to leave and keep a copy for your records.
Take a general inventory of the property to look for damage that may have occurred while you lived there. Remember that you are obligated to repair any damage that you (or your friends) caused to the property during your tenancy. The cost for any damage that you don't repair could be taken out of your bond.
Give yourself enough time to give the place a good cleaning once you've packed all of your stuff. You'll have an easier time cleaning if you can wait until you've moved everything out of the property.
Everything should be returned to the condition it was when you first moved in – if not better. Always err on the side of "too clean" rather than "not clean enough" to increase the chance of getting your full bond back.
Make sure you:
- Empty and wipe down all cupboards and drawers
- Sweep and mop hardwood and linoleum floors
- Vacuum carpets thoroughly – or rent a steam cleaner if heavily soiled
- Clean the inside and outside of appliances
- Remove any large marks on doors or walls
- Wipe down windows and window sills
Want further assistance?
- Call us on 0900 87233Available 24/7. Calls cost $1.99 + GST per minute.
- Email us your questionWe aim to respond within 12 hours.