Update: We were very pleased to see fine work from the NZ Police has resulted in the arrest of Richard Wallace.
Warning for motor vehicle dealers about Richard Wallace AKA George Auckland
Our Trust & Safety team have received reports of an individual operating in the Auckland area who is claiming to be in the business of selling ex-Japanese imported vehicles.
His real name is Richard Wallace but he has many aliases including George Auckland.
He appears to be in the business of using legitimate motor vehicle traders and companies as fronts to conduct his activities.
We have received a number of reports from buyers who have paid this individual deposits for vehicles that have not been supplied.
Keep an eye out for anyone who approaches you or your business with a sales pitch along these lines:
- Hey, I have access to Japanese imports – can you sell them for me?
- I’ll give you a cut for any successful sales.
- The vehicles are in transit to New Zealand, but I can give you all the photos and other information you need to advertise them for sale.
- I’m happy to deal with the buyers for you.
Be cautious of any unexpected offers
If you’re approached in the above manner, take these steps to make sure everything is above board:
- Ask questions and require proof – this individual will often use false names, or have others approach you on his behalf.
- It’s your membership, so make sure you handle all communications with buyers yourself.
- Never give this person access to your Trade me account.
- Definitely make sure you are responsible for the flow of money.
Keep in mind
You can’t afford to neglect doing your due diligence. You might think you’re just making a good deal, but if everything goes pots up, you will be left holding the can for any unresolved issues.