- Play a critical partnership role supporting the wellbeing of New Zealanders
- Deliver value to internal and external stakeholders and become a trusted partner of the business
- Porirua location
ESR is a Government-owned Crown Research Institute (CRI) that uses the power of science to solve complex problems for our partners and customers and protect people and products in New Zealand, and around the world.
ESR is a world leader in the science that keeps people safe, healthy and prosperous. Our customers regard us as a critical partner for their work and we are known for our service ethic.
About the role: We are seeking an experienced legal professional to join the Chief Executive’s Office in the role of General Counsel. You will report to the Manager Governance and Leadership Support and be a key senior advisor and central point of advice and support to the ESR Board, Senior Leadership team, and staff.
This position plays a critical role within ESR where you will be providing your technical expertise as well as your leadership skills and stakeholder engagement experience. In return you will gain business wide exposure managing complex and varied legal issues, and building relationships with key stakeholders and business partners.
Key accountabilities will include:
- Leading ESR’s Legal function and managing relationships with external legal providers
- Ownership and understanding of ESR’s legal framework to facilitate responsive and proactive management of the organisation’s legal risks
- Ensuring appropriate management of all litigation involving ESR
- Acting as ESR’s privacy officer and supporting privacy maturity across ESR
- Providing support for corporate governance functions, including Company Secretary duties.
What we're looking for: To be successful in the role of General Counsel you will need sound judgement, excellent communication and relationship skills and the agility to advise on a wide range of issues from administrative law, complex statutory interpretation to significant commercial and governance matters.
You will have sound public sector experience or exposure, be commercially astute, and be comfortable operating and advising at a senior level, working with Boards and senior officials. This is a complex environment so you will bring confidence and strong influencing skills when advising on multi-faceted issues.
How to Apply To find out more please contact Kirsty Brown on 04 499 9471 or email to mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also visit Hot Jobs at http://www.h2r.co.nz, quoting reference number 25221. Applications close at 5pm Monday 25 November.