'Kotahi ano te kaupapa, ko te oranga o te iwi'
`There is only one purpose to our work: the wellness and wellbeing of our people'
The Ara Poutama Aotearoa strategy, Hokai Rangi, expresses our organisation's intention to transform the way we operate to ensure that the people in our care, and their whanau, are supported to reduce recidivism and improve the humanising and healing aspects of the work we do. By the end of 2022, Ara Poutama Aotearoa will have new facilities at Waikeria Prison including Hikitia a mental health and addiction service (MHAS), designed to address the needs of nga tane in our care. This service is being designed, implemented, and governed in partnership with mana whenua ahi ka (Maniapoto ki te Raki and Raukawa ki Wharepuhunga) and the Waikato District Health Board.
Mo te tunga | About the role
As a Corrections Officer you will join a highly supportive team that manages nga tane in prison and in the community. You will use your communication skills to influence nga tane, assisting them to make the right choices, take the right actions at the right times and continually support their individual pathways towards living offending-free lives. Your contribution will count, and you will have a positive effect on the lives of others and public safety. It's more challenging, more interesting and more rewarding than you can imagine. Upon an offer of employment, you will be required to complete an initial residential 11- week training course. The starting salary is $54,793 increasing to $57,432 after your initial training.
Nga pukenga me nga wheako | Skills and experience
Your understanding of Te Ao Maori and Tikanga Maori or desire to learn will be an advantage as we align our model and way of working to our organisation's values - Manaaki, Rangitira, Whanau, Kaitiaki, Wairua. We are also seeking candidates who:
- Are passionate about helping others
- Who want to work in a people related role
- Are good role models within their community
- Possess skills and experience relevant to working in a varied and challenging environment
- Demonstrate strong integrity and safety awareness
About you | Mou
To be eligible to apply you must already have:
- A current and full non-conditional New Zealand driver licence (NB. If you hold an International Driver Licence you can still apply however you must convert this to a full NZ Driver Licence before an offer of employment can be formally made to you)
- The legal right to work full-time in New Zealand
- The ability to pass a pre-employment drug test, a full medical assessment and a physical readiness assessment
- To declare any convictions and/or conflicts of interest and have them approved by us in accordance with our Corrections delegations policy
- You will be required to work shifts as our prisons operate 24/7. Your rostered shift could be of 8, 10- or 12-hours duration depending on which unit you are working in. Our new shift schedules give staff more rostered days off to enjoy a better work/life balance.
Mo matou | About us
Ara Poutama Aotearoa is a name that has been gifted to us and is our commitment to improving the oranga and safety of the people, whanau, and that of the communities we serve across the motu.
As a values-led organisation, we use the principles of rangatira (leadership), manaaki (respect), wairua (spirituality), kaitiaki (guardianship) and whanau (relationships) to shape how we work and deliver the outcomes in our strategy - Hokai Rangi (https://arapoutama.page.link/Eit5).
See the exciting changes happening at Waikeria Prison: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxpamUZskr0
For reporting and transparency, it is important that all applications are submitted through our careers site. If you want to find out more about a career with us, visit careers.corrections.govt.nz or email our team at mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org