|Company||Civil Aviation Authority|
|Listed||Thu 10 Oct, 8:37 am|
|Type||Full time, Permanent|
- Play a crucial role in the safety oversight of an important sector of the New Zealand aviation system
- Be part of an environment devoted to ensuring a vibrant aviation system
- Challenging and rewarding aviation career advancement, offering variety and development, where no two days are the same
The Authority is a Crown entity, responsible for the safety and security of New Zealand's civil aviation system. There are two parts to our business - the regulatory arm (Civil Aviation Authority), which is responsible for the safety oversight of the New Zealand civil aviation system, and the security arm (Aviation Security Service), which provides aviation security services at airports across New Zealand. We have a strong commitment to achieve Safer Skies, and have a unique opportunity for you to help accomplish this.
About the role
This is a full time, permanent position to act as the Technical Specialist - Exemptions
The role sits temporarily under Director New Southern Sky, but will transition in due course to another unit in line with the outputs from the new CAA organisational design changes.
The role has the following focus areas:
- Coordinate and process exemptions
- Issue exemption recommendations and exemption certificates
- Provides specialist advice
- Reviews and maintains exemptions processes, documentation and training requirements for subject matter experts (SMEs)
This role is vital to the New Zealand aviation system,as it coordinates exemptions applications, known as 'petitions' from airlines, air traffic services, aerodromes and all types of operators seeking to achieve other means of complying safely with the intent of the rules, while temporarily unable to comply for technical or other valid reasons.
A day in the life of the Technical Specialist Exemptions will invariably be focused on helping to deliver a range of exemptions from different sectors of the aviation system. However, there are several tasks that feature prominently. On any given day, you may be meeting with subject matter experts to gather information in order to establish if a petition ought to be supported or would be better managed by seeking a change to the rules.
The following activities are typical of the duties of the role:
- Conduct an initial assessment of exemption petition validity
- Engage with the appropriate operational unit/s to derive an evidence based regulatory assessment of the petitioner's application
- Write reports/recommendations to grant or reject exemption applications, assessing applicability of the Civil Aviation Act and suitability of the corresponding technical/operational assessment
- Liaise with Managers, Policy, Legal and the Deputy Directors/Director for oversight and decisions regarding each exemption
In summary, you will be reviewing input and advice provided by both internal and external stakeholders. You will be managing this into evidence to put in front of the decision makers, including up to Director Civil Aviation level.
To be successful in this role you will have:
- Aviation experience and risk management skills at a technical level
- Well-developed interpersonal skills; the ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders in a confident and positive manner.
- Core Microsoft Suite and Email user skills
- Highly motivated with the ability to work with minimal supervision and the flexibility to handle change and reprioritize work.
Culture & benefits
The Civil Aviation Authority is located in modern offices opposite the Wellington Railway Station. Our employees enjoy benefits including 4% (gross) KiwiSaver employee contributions and discounted health insurance premiums.
Our staff are passionate about aviation safety and security and have a commitment to 'doing the right thing'.
If this sounds like your next challenge and you have the relevant skills and experience then please take a look at the position description here. If you wish to apply, please click on the APPLY button below ensuring you include both your CV and Covering letter.
The Authority embraces diversity and is committed to an inclusive and respectful workplace where everyone is valued for their unique contribution.