|Company||Pacific Resort Hotel Group - Cook Islands|
|Location||Auckland City, Auckland|
|Pay & Benefits||see job description|
|Listed||Tue 6 Mar, 5:04 pm|
|Type||Full time, Contract/Temp|
Pacific Resort, Aitutaki is the gem of the Pacific Resort Hotel Group and one of the finest small luxury hotels in the South Pacific. Our award-winning tropical island retreat features just 29 richly-appointed and exceedingly private beachfront bungalows, suites and villas, all within steps of the water’s edge.
At Pacific Resort Aitutaki we pride ourselves in delivering the finest food and beverage experience possible for all our guests. Our signature fine dining restaurant, Rapae Bay, is known for serving exceptional South Pacific cuisine complemented by fine wines and artisan tropical cocktails. Our ever popular beach bar and grill, Black Rock, serves more casual fare accompanied by cool and refreshing libations; either poolside during the day or under the stars at night.
About the Senior Sous Chef role:
Reporting directly to the Executive Chef, the Senior Sous Chef's primary responsibility is to assist with the hands on management of all day-to-day kitchen operations, ensuring that the highest standards of culinary excellence are consistently achieved and maintained within budgetary limitations. The Senior Sous Chef will take charge of the Resort’s kitchens in the absence of the Executive Chef.
Our young and energetic culinary team is led by our seasoned Executive Chef who is further supported by our Corporate Executive Chef based in Rarotonga. Your success will lie in your ability to lead and train the entire kitchen staff and guide them in the production of top-quality cuisine for all meal periods.
While you will be working within an established menu framework, your culinary skills and flair along with technical cooking ability will be most important. So too will be the ability to lead from the front (this is a very hands on role) including the training of both new and existing members of the kitchen brigade. A supportive and patient approach to the tasks at hand will help earn the respect and trust of local staff and management.
Key Responsibilities (not limited to):
• Work with the Executive Chef to produce diversified and delectable menus in accordance with the Resort’s Culinary Brief and vision
• Consult with the Executive Chef on the creation of new dishes
• Establish the working schedule and organize all aspects of kitchen operations so everything runs smoothly
• Maintain order and discipline in the kitchen during working hours
• Mentor and train all Demi-Chefs, Chef de Parties and Junior Sous Chefs so they may produce a high standard of cuisine with consistency
• Create outstanding tasting / degustation menus for clients
• Ensure that proper hygiene and food safety standards are met throughout all stages of food production
• Confirm daily that all kitchen equipment is in good working condition
• Responsible for managing food purchasing and proper food storage
• Assist in managing an operating budget annually that includes wages, overtime, travel, uniforms, food cost and operating equipment costs
• Strong technical ability and knowledge in all sections of fine dining kitchen operations
• Must be able to efficiently lead a team comprised of more than 15-20 Kitchen personnel
• Ability to establish and maintain proper food inventories
• Skill in butchering (specification guidelines for meat, fish, seafood and poultry)
• Experience implementing new food concepts and menus
• Experience in training senior and junior kitchen staff to a 5 star standard
• Ability to implement new policies, standard operating procedures and Company initiatives
• A Culinary degree/diploma from an accredited Culinary School or comparable restaurant work experience with a minimum of 4 years working as a Sous Chef or Chef de Cuisine in a fine dining restaurant environment
• Candidates must be able to demonstrate a stable work history exhibiting progression through the culinary ranks and relevant experience in the production of high quality cuisine either in luxury hotels/resorts or independent 3 star restaurants. Ideal candidates will have tropical island resort or remote destination work experience
• Fluency in English
• Due to the remote island setting, and the challenges associated with delivering a five star level of F&B service under such circumstances, we seek single status male or female candidates who are flexible, resilient, patient and approachable as well as having a good sense of humour and sober habits
• Experience with South Pacific Cuisine is preferred and considered advantageous to the application
• Sous Chefs looking for their next step up are also encouraged to apply
Term: 2 year single status contract
Schedule: 6 days / actual hours based on business demand
Salary: Remuneration is negotiable based on experience.
Expat Benefits: Staff housing, shift meal, uniform allowance, two weeks paid vacation, return airfares on completion of contract and company paid immigration costs
Start Date: Immediate. Actual start date dependent on the issuance of the necessary work permits