|Company||8 Wired Brewing Ltd|
|Listed||Wed 20 Jun, 8:11 pm|
|Type||Full time, Permanent|
The lead brewer is an essential position with in the company. He or she must be attentive and intuitive, and works directly under the head brewer and owner to complete all day to day tasks in the brewery. These include, but are not limited to:
- Producing wort from raw materials such as malted grains, hops and water. This includes operating the brew house as well as conducting scientific analysis during production to ensure the process follows predefined specifications for the particular recipe;
- Ordering and receiving raw materials and conducting quality control of these, both sensory and scientific. Working with suppliers and forming relationships;
- Attending industry events, promotions and representing the brewery respectfully;
- Cleaning and sterilization of brewery vessels;
- Beer testing & evaluation (visual and taste) regarding colour, body, flavour and aroma. Good knowledge of beer styles and an understanding of "FlavorActiV" or "Aroxa" methods for faulty beer are desirable;
- Developing practical application of adjustments to process deriving from sensory and scientific testing;
- Managing yeast health. This includes scientific laboratory work as well as physical handling of the brewery’s yeast cultures;
- Working with microscopes, pH meters, density meters, dissolved oxygen meters and any other scientific equipment as needed;
- Monitoring - and control / testing of - fermentation, including pH measurements, gravity readings, yeast counting, and further microbial testing in the laboratory;
- Clarifying of final beer for packaging - Including operation, understanding, and manipulation of Alfa Laval Brew80 centrifugal separator, biological finings and filtration;
- Processing analysis, research & development;
- Conducting tests on shelf life and other quality control measures of final product.
- Conducting in house testing of alcohol by volume measures and working with external laboratories to verify these;
- Evaluating existing and developing new quality control procedures and safety standards for the manufacture of food products - Including implementation and further development of the brewery’s HACCP protocols;
- Blending of beer, according to formulae and knowledge of brewing techniques, including barrelled beer in all of its forms and variances.
- Assisting in bottling and kegging of the beer.
- Assist in maintaining the brewery’s inventory management systems.
The lead brewer must be trained and experienced. At least 5 years of working in a commercial brewery is needed.
Further from this, experience with the following (or similar) equipment, processes and qualities are highly desirable:
- Proven management experience and leadership qualities;
- Proven track record of working to strict deadlines in a growing food/drink production environment;
- Holistic approach to teaching methods and continuing improvement;
- Alfa Laval Brew 80 centrifugal separator;
- Lenticular, membrane and cartridge filters ;
- Dissolved oxygen meter:
- Centrifugal and lobe pumps with variable frequency drives;
- All aspects of brew house work. This includes, but is not limited to, Mash/Lauter tun, kettle, whirlpool, fermenters, hot liquor tank and cold liquor tank as well as all related pipework, pumps, valves and controls;
- Bottling equipment, preferably rotary machines.
- A sound mechanical knowledge.
In short, we are looking for the Wonderwoman or Superman of brewing operations. If you think you are, or could become this person with a little in house training, please email email@example.com.