|Location||Auckland City, Auckland|
|Listed||Wed 9 Oct, 1:13 pm|
|Type||Full time, Permanent|
- Otahuhu location
- Physically demanding outdoors role
- Training rate is $22.54 per hour rising once qualified to $25.09
- Penal rates will apply once on shift work making on average your pay around $28 per hour in training and an average of $31 per hour once qualified (average 3-4 months to qualify, person dependent)
- Shift work with advanced planned rosters
Our Rail Operators are a hugely important part of our business and without these teams the business would come to a holt. Our teams work outside in our freight rail yards in all weathers in a physically demanding role where safety is of the utmost importance.
You'll see yourself performing shunting duties. This means you'll link and unlink wagons, direct train drivers when coupling wagons and locomotives, place wagons into customer sidings (railway parking tracks). You'll be an essential part of conducting safety checks ensuring that all vehicles in the train are in a fit state to commence the journey. You will be working in a small team and also be communicating via radio, so clear communication skills are essential.
You'll be challenged by working in a physically challenging role while working outdoors. This role involves heavy manual handling, and doing a reasonable level of walking. You'll be working on a 24/7 rotating roster, so previous experience working shifts is advantageous, along with experience working outdoors in all-weather conditions.
- You could come from any background, as long as you have had exposure to physical labour where H&S was at the core of what you did
- Health & Safety is critical in our organisation, so you will need to have a strong safety focus and genuinely care about the well-being of your team and yourself at all times.
- Team work is second nature to you and you can easily communicate to people from all walks of life
- Full NZ Drivers License
- A competitive hourly rate + time and a half Saturdays & double time Sundays
- Extensive support and ongoing training. The more experience in the yard you gain the more opportunities open to you with pay increases and with job progression opportunities. Your training is universally recognised.
- Heavily discounted travel and insurance
- 5 weeks annual leave
This is a great opportunity to learn while you work within an organisation that will support you to succeed. Our team is like a family, we love what we do and we thrive in this busy and upbeat environment. If this sounds like you, then what are you waiting for? Apply now and start your journey today.
Applicants for this position should have NZ residency or a valid NZ work visa.