News Next article

Responsibilities for listing radiocommunications devices

Thinking about selling radio devices? Find out more about the rules and requirements when selling them on Trade Me.

By Trust and Safety 15 September 2023

All radio transmitters and radiocommunication devices sold on Trade Me need to meet the Radio Regulations 1989 and the Radiocommunications Regulations 2001. Radio Spectrum Management (RSM) can fine sellers who aren't sticking to the rules – our guide will help you make sure your listings are compliant.

RSM have an online guide to help identify devices that meet Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) standards.

All electrical, electronic and radio items listed on Trade Me must meet these standards.

RSM and CE approval

CE approval only applies to products sold in the EU and isn't recognised for the New Zealand or Australian market.

The RSM website has a guide for what labels your device needs and if a licence is required to buy or sell certain products.

There are certain rules for listing different radio communication devices on site:

Dog-tracking devices

Some dog-tracking devices are illegal to sell or operate in New Zealand because they operate on the same frequencies as equipment used by people travelling and working in rural areas.

Devices subject to the Radiocommunications Regulations (Prohibited Equipment – Dog Tracking Devices) Notice 2014 are not able to be listed on the site.

Full list of makes and models can be found here.

This ban includes parts associated with these devices such as collars and aerials.

RSM can be contacted to discuss dog tracking collars and other prohibited equipment on 0508 RSM INFO (0508 776 463) or by email at

Radio jamming equipment

Radio jammers are electronic devices that deliberately disrupt or jam radio signals – including cell phones and GPS units.

It's illegal to import, manufacture, sell or use a radio jammer in New Zealand – except with a licence issued by MBIE. They also can't be listed on Trade Me.

'Amateur only' radio transmitters

An 'amateur only' transmitter is used by amateur radio operators to transmit non-commercial radio communications.

Amateur radio operators are required to have an Amateur Radio Operators General User Radio Licence (GURL) to use these devices. You can obtain a licence on the RSM website.

Listings on Trade Me must:

  • Not suggest these devices can be used for purposes other than amateur radio communication.
  • Advise that the buyer will need to provide proof of their qualification.

We recommend including this in your description:

"This unit may only be sold to qualified amateur radio operators and used on amateur frequencies. The purchaser will need to provide proof of their amateur qualification."

Low power FM broadcasting transmitters

Radiocommunication transmitters intended for local-area broadcasting and known as low-power FM broadcasting devices (LPFM) can only operate under a General User Radio Licence.

We don’t want people buying FM transmitters that must be individually licensed and using them inappropriately. Check out the RSM guide for LPFM for more info.

All listings for devices not complying with LPFM requirements must include the following text:

"The purchaser of this equipment must have obtained a licence for FM Broadcasting from the Ministry of Business Innovation and Employment and should ensure that the equipment is suitable for the required transmitter specifications."

This helps make sure LPFMs are used correctly. RSM regularly review the site to ensure members disclose this information.


Trust and Safety
Trust and Safety