Is it a good fit?
Buying a bike that doesn't suit you physically will end in tears, so here's a quickie six-point checklist to help fit the machine to the rider:
- Can you sit on the seat and put both feet on the ground?
- Can you reach the ground safely with either foot in an emergency stop if the road surface slopes away?
- Is the bike too heavy for you to feel safe in stop-start traffic?
- Do you feel confident manoeuvering the bike if the road surface is slippery or uneven?
- Can you wheel the bike around safely in the driveway or garage?
- Will you feel safe carrying a pillion passenger, if you intend to, and will that passenger enjoy sitting on the rear seat?
If you're a born-again biker who's spent a decade or more off the roads, bear in mind that bikes have gotten a lot faster and traffic a lot heavier.
Want further assistance?
- Call us on 0900 87233Available 24/7. Calls cost $1.99 + GST per minute.
- Email us your questionWe aim to respond within 12 hours.