Getting started with advertising
The right ad formats and targeting are availble with Trade Me to deliver on your campaign objectives.
What is display advertising?
Display advertising on Trade Me sits alongside classified listings to promote brands products or services. There are various sized formats available depending on the user journey and environment. Ads are targeted to specific audience segments based on campaign objectives, where we can ensure the right message is delivered to the right audience at the right time in the right format.
Types of Trade Me ads
Ad units available are:
Impressions are the number of times the ad is displayed to that audience. For example, when your ad is displayed on the page and viewed by a person that is considered 1 impression.
CPM stands for Cost per 1,000 impressions bought. For example, if you are charged a $5 CPM, that means you will pay $5 for every 1,000 impressions of your ad.
Why display advertising?
- You’re in control of your creative and messaging. Capture the attention of our members, convey your messages and bring your brand to the front of mind.
- Facilitate brand awareness, attract interest and capture intent through the use of smart targeting.
- Effectively target consumers throughout their path to purchase, depending on their age bracket, location, purchasing and researching behaviours. Increase your visibility and reach specific target audiences.
Reach is the number of people that have seen the ad.
Frequency is the number of times your ads appear to the same person throughout the campaign.
Designing your ads
Choosing how to design your display ads can be overwhelming. To give your campaign the best chance at hitting all its objectives, we recommend keeping these simple principles in mind.
This blog post explains these in more detail, to help you make great choices about your display ads.
We offer off-the-shelf and customised targeting options based on member behaviours and categories they are searching, viewing and watchlisting on site.
Motors, Jobs and Marketplace verticals.
interest and intent indicators of member behaviour across the site.
Target based on age, gender and location.
Awareness, interest and intent
We also use a simplified buyer journey model to structure the targeting we run onsite in three stages. This way, we can influence the consumer at each stage of their path to purchase.
Create awareness and build your brand, influence customers at the earliest stages of the path-to-purchase.
Generate interest and attract leads by targeting customers who are “in market” and have shown interest.
Capture intent by influencing those who have shown interest.
Website best practices
To ensure your advertising is clicking through to an environment for a great customer experience, we have a few tips to keep in mind:
- User-friendly website - usable and accessible information that the user is expecting when they click through from your ad
- Mobile responsive - over half of our audience is visiting Trade Me on their mobile device so ensure your mobile experience is as great, if not better than your desktop one
- Tracking code URLs set up - for example using the Google UTM builder to track advertising
- Measure your traffic - measure your website metrics through Google Analytics
Once your campaign has ended, you will receive an end of campaign report which will give you the results of your campaign as follows:
- Impressions booked
- Impressions delivered
- Number of times your ad was clicked
- Click-through rate % (number of impressions delivered / number of clicks)
For more information on campaign performance and metrics, check out this blog post.