What’s it like to live in Parnell?
Interested in properties in Parnell?
Last updated: 1 February 2023
Your home isn’t just a building. The area surrounding it plays a huge part in your day-to-day life, and that of your family – so you need to find the perfect fit.
Property viewings help you get a feel for individual homes, but how can you learn about a suburb as a whole? Well, as well as walking its streets, this is a question of good old fashioned research.
To help you decide which is the best suburb in Auckland to buy in, we’ll be exploring some of the city’s commonly searched areas, so you can make up your mind on what’s right for you.
This time, we’re walking you through life in Parnell.
Parnell’s property landscape
Parnell house prices
For the six months to 31 December 2023, Parnell house prices* looked like this:
- House: $3.47M
- Townhouse: $1.34M
- Apartment: $2.72M
- Unit: $1.45M
Life in Parnell
Lying roughly 2.5KM from Auckland CBD, Parnell is one of the city’s oldest suburbs. However, in recent decades, the suburb has undergone something of a rebirth and is now one of the most sought after residential areas within the Super City.
Parnell offers much of the tranquility of Remuera, with similar convenience to the CBD and surrounding suburbs. The area is known for picturesque cafes, diverse art galleries and well thought of restaurants. Many of these are located in Parnell Village – a favoured spot among Auckland’s foodies and retail enthusiasts. Among Parnell’s most popular attractions are:
- Auckland War Memorial Museum: whether you come to enjoy the impressive architecture or to wander its fascinating exhibitions, Auckland War Memorial Museum has something for all ages. What’s more, it’s free for Auckland residents!
- La Cigale French Market: voted Auckland’s ‘Best Food Market’ for eight years in a row, the treats on offer at La Cigale bring Paris to Parnell. This weekend market on Saint Georges Bay Road will keep you coming back, time and time again.
- Parnell Baths: enjoyed by locals for over 100 years, Parnell baths is home to NZ’s largest saltwater pool, as well as spa pools and toddler pools. You know summer is on its way when the baths start to fill up!
Auckland War Memorial Museum in Parnell.
Parnell is perfectly positioned both for the CBD and the bustling employment and commercial hub of neighbouring Newmarket.
On the train from Parnell Road, Britomart and Newmarket stations are just one stop away (in opposite directions). For access to other suburbs, the Inner and Outer LINK, and 755 buses offer frequent services around the city.
Schools in Parnell
There are a variety of schools, both public and private, on offer to families in and around Parnell. They include:
- Parnell District School – Saint Stephens Avenue.
- Auckland Montessori Primary School – Glanville Terrace
- ACG Parnell College – Titoki Street (private).
Parnell is also in the highly sought after double grammar zone for Auckland Grammar (boys only) and Epsom Girls Grammar School (girls only).
If you want to know more about individual properties within Flat Bush, use our homes.co.nz Property Insights. This interface allows you to view records, rateable values (RVs), estimates and recent sales for over 1.5 million NZ properties, as well as tracking how these values change over time.
*Average asking prices are taken from the listings started between 01 July 2022 and 31 December 2022 to reflect market trends.
Other articles you might like