What’s it like to live in Remuera?
A sneak peak into daily life in Remuera.
Last updated: 1 February 2023
Your home isn’t just a building. The area surrounding it plays a huge part in your day-to-day life, and that of your family – so you need to find the perfect fit.
Property viewings help you get a feel for individual homes, but how can you learn about a suburb as a whole? Well, as well as walking its streets, this is a question of good old fashioned research.
To help you decide which is the best suburb in Auckland to buy in, we’ll be exploring some of the city’s commonly searched areas, so you can make up your mind on what’s right for you.
This time, we’re diving into luxurious Remuera.
Remuera’s property landscape
Remuera’s house prices
For the six months to 31 December 2022, Remuera house prices* looked like this:
- House: $3.5M
- Townhouse: $1.81M
- Apartment: $3.09M
- Unit: $1.05M
Life in Remuera
When people think of Remuera, the same images come to mind. Large, well kept lawns, expansive properties tucked away down leafy driveways and an abundance of beautiful parks.
There’s heaps to do in this luxurious Auckland suburb, including:
- Beautiful walks: despite lying only 4 KM from Auckland CBD, there’s no lack of natural, green space in Remuera. Whether you’re climbing Mt. Hobson for views out across Auckland or taking a sunset stroll along the Orakei Basin, there are plenty of options for the fitness-minded.
- Beach access: Remuera has its own beach, located at the bottom of Victoria Avenue. This is a great spot for an even kayak with the kids, or a lazy weekend sunbathe.
- Community clubs: from ballet to badminton, activity seekers are bound to find a club or sports team to suit their tastes. And for those fancying a round of golf on the weekend, the Remuera Golf Club is just a stone’s throw away.
Food-lovers also won’t be disappointed by what Remuera has to offer. As well as banks, boutiques and bars, the central Remuera ‘Village’ (on Remuera Road between Armadale Road and St. Vincent Avenue) is home to some truly fantastic eateries.
Mt Hobson in Remuera
Transport links are crucial when house hunting. Not only can a poorly connected neighbourhood turn a dream home into a house of horrors logistically, being well connected does your property’s value a host of favours.
Being so central to Auckland, it’s no surprise that Remuera is particularly well connected when it comes to transport links.
Both the Southern or Onehunga train lines service Remuera station, offering easy access to the CBD and other suburbs. This is supplemented by several bus routes and, due to the suburb’s proximity to the CBD, bikes and e-bikes are the transport of choice for some residents.
Getting out of Auckland at the weekend is no problem due to Remuera’s easy access to motorway links.
Schools in Remuera
The schools in Remuera are a major drawcard for its residents, with some of the country’s most prestigious education facilities calling the suburb home. There are great options, both public and private, for children of all ages in and around Remuera.
- King’s School (boys only) – Remuera Road.
- Remuera Primary School – Dromorne Road.
- Saint Kentigern Girls' School – Remuera Road.
- Victoria Avenue Primary School – Victoria Avenue.
- Remuera Intermediate School – Ascot Avenue.
- Mount Hobson Middle School – Remuera Road.
- Baradene School (girls only) – Victoria Avenue.
- Auckland Grammar (boys only) – Mountain Road, Epsom.
- Epsom Girls Grammar (girls only) – Silver Road, Epsom.
If you want to know more about individual properties within Remuera, use our homes.co.nz Property Insights. This interface allows you to view records, rateable values (RVs), estimates and recent sales for over 1.5 million NZ properties, as well as tracking how these values change over time.
*Average asking prices are taken from the listings started between 01 July 2022 and 31 December 2022 to reflect market trends.
Other articles you might like