Create a great listing to improve your chances of selling
Whether you want your sale to be easy, quick or lucrative, your listing needs to be great quality.
Selling online is a great way to reach a bigger pool of buyers, but with that comes more competition. To improve your chances of selling, create an eye-catching listing that inspires shoppers to buy with confidence.
An informative listing
Every buyer is looking for information that gives them confidence to make decisions about their purchase. Your focus should always be to provide clear and factual information.
Clear and specific titles lead to your item being found by someone who wants it – be relevant and concise:
- Include the most important attributes in your title.
- Use keywords that someone looking for your item might type in.
- Triple check for typos – ‘lapopts’ and ‘queen beards’ won’t be found!
Include as much information as possible in your listing description, starting with the most important details. Think about what buyers will want to know, and provide answers for them in your listing so they don’t need to ask questions before bidding.
- Describe the condition in detail and note measurements, sizing, fabric, brand, colour, style, model and make.
- Include warranty details and refund or return policy.
- Some buyers need mint condition but others actually want second-hand – don’t shy away from describing any flaws.
Assure buyers of exactly what they’re bidding on by using clear, high quality photos. You don’t need to be a professional photographer. Take photos during the day where there is natural light, and choose a background free from distractions.
- Take photos from different angles.
- Include clear, bright photos that show flaws and imperfections too.
- Avoid using photos taken off the internet. View our complete photo policy and guidelines for more information.
Think about anything else your buyer might need to know to improve your chances of selling.
For example, If you’re selling a garden shed that’s pick-up only, consider how that will impact your buyer. Note whether that shed can be broken down and what measurements lying flat will be.
- Include shipping costs and note the suburb if pick-up is required.
- Mention the reason you’re selling if it adds credibility to your listing, e.g,’selling cheap as it was an unwanted gift’.
Good photos and detailed information will help your sale.
Search for similar items to get a sense of how much you can expect to get for your item, and how much other people might be willing to pay (these amounts can be quite different!).
Watching those listings over several days or weeks will show you how much you can expect to get, and what you can do to make your listing stand out.
For example, if all the other listings you’ve seen require cash on pick-up, you could offer Afterpay.
Even if you don’t care about the price and just want your item gone, avoid under-pricing in a bid to make a fast sale. A low price may deter buyers as much as a high one.
- Use our Price Suggester tool in combination with your research to choose the right start price.
- Buyers prefer knowing the total cost before making a purchase, so confirm shipping fees before you list.
- Add our Make an offer feature so buyers can send you offers you can accept or decline easily.
- Check out our helpful guide on how to get the best price for your item.
Accurate pricing and shipping information will help the buyer.
Promotional features and extras
The best chance a listing has to sell is the first time it’s listed, so use our free and paid features to reach as many people as you can.
- Offering a Buy Now is great for buyers and sellers who need a quick sale.
- Add our Make an offer feature so buyers can send you offers you can accept or decline easily for a fast sale.
- Attract attention with a $1 reserve (but do your research – $1 reserves listings aren’t suitable for every listing).
- Our promotional extras cost as little as $0.55 and can get your listing seen by more people.
Shipping made easy
- Save money on shipping costs for your buyer with our Book a Courier service (mates rates start from $2.89).
- Adding Book a Courier to your listing will also give the buyer an accurate shipping estimate.
Payment options covered by Buyer Protection
Create your own great listing
Great listings connect people with the items they want, need, and even fall in love with. Even if you don’t fancy that painting you inherited from Aunt Hilda, someone else might think it’s perfect for their hallway!
Stay open minded and make sure you’re giving your item the best chance of being found by taking the time and effort to create a quality listing.
Other articles you might like